Continuing Partnerships – alumni partner with students – students partner with alumni
Connect with alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends of Eureka College through the Eureka College Alumni Group through LinkedIn (link to http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Eureka-College-Alumni-Group-1474937/about)
Contact the Director of Career Services if you are interested in being a mentor
After students have been matched with a mentor it is important to know how to facilitate this relationship? You begin with a simple email, phone call or note identifying yourself, expressing your gratitude for their interest and provide them with basic information about yourself: name, address, phone, email, major area of study, career interests, and campus activities to which they might relate. A second email or phone call might include the following questions:
- Where do you work and what do you really do?
- How did you get this job?
- How did you get your first job in the field?
- How did Eureka College prepare you for this type of work?
- Does it require any specialized education or graduate training?
- What advice would you give someone looking for this type of job?
- What would a typical first job in this field be today?
- Can you suggest someone else with whom I can have an informational conversation?
- Would it be possible to “shadow” you at work for a day or two, so I can get a sense of day-to-day activities?