Downloadable PDF Forms:
The Learning Center
p: (309) 467-6592
Director, The Learning Center
Eureka, IL 61530-1500
Take Your Learning To Another Level
- Need advice on study habits, organization, test taking skills, or stress management?
- Need someone to help you with a challenging paper and guide you through the writing process?
- Need extra assistance before a big math test?
- Need additional services to help you with special needs challenges?
Then you need The Learning Center.
The Learning Center provides free academic support services for ALL Eureka College students. The Center has two support services The Writing Center and The Math Lab. Both areas provide tutoring, advice, and individualized guidance.
The Writing Center
The Writing Center provides feedback at any stage of the writing process—brainstorming, composing, revising, editing, and proofreading. Students can receive peer assistance for course related assignments, as well as personal writing projects. Student tutors, who have an English background and are trained by an English professor, guide students to writing success. It is important for students to realize that tutors will guide students, not write or rewrite assignments for them. Also, the best results occur when students don’t make a last moment stop, but rather visit early and/or frequently, so quality writing and revision emerges. Student tutors will be located at the Burgoo, Learning Center, and Melick Library during specified times.
6–8:30pm (Sanders Lounge)
6–7pm (Harrod Lounge/LC)
Download a printable PDF
*Appointments and tutors for specific courses are available upon request. The Writing Center is closed on Saturday and Sunday.
The Math Lab
The Math Lab will have a new format this year. An Education/Math Professor and a student tutor will provide one-on-one assistance for Math 098 and 099 courses. Both are available for assistance during requested times and locations. However, if tutoring is needed for higher level math courses, then tutors will be sought out for specific student requests. Please contact the Director of the Learning Center at 467-6520 for these specific needs.
In addition to these support services, course tutors and study groups can be arranged in most subject areas. Simply contact the Center to set up an individualized appointment. Also, the Center can provide individual consultation on specific academic struggles. Assistance can be given on time and stress management, study skills, and course specific concerns.
Outside the Learning Center there are four computers for student usage. They are available 24 hours and print calls can be made during Center hours. Also, constructive feedback and tips on improving your multimedia presentations are provided through the Learning Center. Give the Center a call to set up an appointment.
“I have been coming to the Learning Center for the last 3 years. It has been a great resource for me. I especially like it because it is a quiet and safe place to study, take a test, or get help when you need it. I don’t know what I would have done without it over the years.” Nichole Holmes
“As a non-traditional student, the Learning Center has been a great service to me. I have always been able to find somebody to help me revise a paper, brainstorm an idea, or simply check my work. It is comforting to know the service is there if you need it.” Elizabeth Emmett
Learning Center Helpful Links
Information at your fingertips
Here are several web sites which offer links, handouts, and self-guided tutorials that should prove helpful to both faculty and students. Students are especially encouraged to use them when the Eureka College Writing Center is closed and face-to-face consultations are not possible.
- Most referenced OWL on the Web
- Grammar and spelling help
- Guides to style and editing
- Extensive collection of research links
- Links for doing research and writing in specialized areas
- ESL links
- Interactive exercises
- Extensive list of handouts
- Immense number of links
- Writing for specific fields
- Huge number of handouts
- Links to specialized writing resources
- Writing help for diverse needs from dissertations to resumes
- Writing for different disciplines
- Specialized ESL assistance
- Links to online interactive exercises
- Writing-related publications (including links to non-DePaul sites) including some for publishing your writing
- Handouts on writing-related issues
- Interactive tutorials
- Interactive demonstrations
- Writing gallery
- Specialized composing/writing courses
- Links to sites on library research
- Writing for specific fields
- An online writing handbook great!
- Specialized writing sites for diverse disciplines
Disability Support Services
Becoming the best you can be
Eureka College seeks to assist individuals with disabilities by providing accommodations and services that will assist in promoting a student’s success and integration into college and college related activities. The Director of the Learning Center coordinates the Disability Support Services for the College and works with students, faculty, and staff to ensure equal opportunity to all programs. All services must be requested by the user.