Eureka College presented its annual alumni awards at a dinner at 6:30 p.m. April 11 during Alumni Weekend. The dinner and a 5:30 p.m. reception was open to the public. Cost was $25 for individuals and $40 for couples.
Award recipients were Carolyn Shepherd of Morton; Elaine Flores Welch of Bloomington; Ernie Potter and Barb Potter, both of Gilman; Wesley Phelan of Bull Shoals, Ark.; Bill King of Lakeway, Texas; and Rodney Gould of Studio City, Calif.
- Shepherd and Phelan were named honorary alumni of Eureka College for their extraordinary commitment and loyalty to the college and their efforts toward the advancement of the college, its students and its mission. Shepherd funds the college’s First Generation Program for students who are the first members of their families to attend college. She also funds travel opportunities for students and the annual Alumni Leadership Conference. Phelan taught political science at the college for more than 20 years, retiring in 2014. He coached tennis and was a faculty representative to the Alumni Board.
- Welch received the Outstanding Young Alumni Award for alumni who have graduated within the past 15 years and who have shown outstanding commitment to their professions, communities, churches and alma mater. She received a degree in Spanish from Eureka College in 2000. She is a physician and visits Eureka College classes to share her expertise. She is a volunteer with AmeriCorps.
- The Potters each received an Alumni Board President’s Award for Service for dedicating their time and effort to the advancement of Eureka College. Ernie Potter received a degree in economics and business, and Barb Potter received a degree in mathematics, both in 1965, and were married on the campus that year. Ernie Potter formerly was a member of the Eureka College Board of Trustees. He is a member of Lambda Chi Alpha social fraternity and helps with maintenance of the fraternity house. Barb Potter is a member of the Eureka College Women’s Board. They have established two endowed scholarships for students.
- Gould received the Outstanding Alumni Achievement Award for professional achievement and community service. He received a degree in economics and business from Eureka College in 1987. He is an attorney. He has served on the Eureka College Board of Trustees and serves on the boards of several nonprofit organizations.
- King received the Alumni Award of Merit for demonstrating a lifetime of excellence in his profession and community service. He received a degree in economics and business from Eureka College in 1971. He worked at State Farm Insurance, retiring as an executive vice president. He served on the Eureka College Board of Trustees and is a presenter and adviser at the annual Alumni Leadership Conference.