Fellowships and Scholarships
Fellowship Programs are designed to support a range of experiences and activities including: graduate study in a specific field, research to advance work on a particular issue and other opportunities to further explore a particular field of work. They are generally short-term (few months to several years), sponsored by a specific association or organization seeking to expand leadership in their field and fellows typically receive a salary or stipend. Fellowships have traditionally been awarded to graduate and post-graduate students, but there are an increasing number of fellowships available to under-graduates and new college graduates.
Note: Some have firm application deadlines and others have rolling application dates.
Review the application requirements and plan accordingly.
- Peace Corps
- Smithsonian Institution Office of Fellowships and Internships
- Association of Public Health Laboratories Environmental Health and Emerging Infectious Disease Fellowships
- ProFellow Fellowships Database Database of over 700 professional and academic fellowship programs
- American India Foundation William J. Clinton Fellowship for Service in India
- Samuel Huntington Public Service Award Award for one year of post bachelor’s public service work
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Fellowships Provides fellowships for both undergraduate and graduate research work
- Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellowship Provides recent college and graduate school alumni with a chance to gain a DC perspective on key issues of peace & security
- The William Jefferson Clinton Scholarships Assists undergraduate students wishing to study the Arab world in Dubai
- Point Foundation: The National LGBTQ Scholarship Fund Scholarships specifically for LGBTQ students
- James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation Offers $24,000 James Madison Graduate Fellowships to individuals desiring to become outstanding teachers of the American Constitution at the secondary school level
- Studio Art Centers International – Florence Scholarships Undergraduate & graduate art scholarships
- Donald M. Payne International Development Fellowship Program For those with interest in foreign affairs, commitment to pursue a USAID Foreign Service career
- Echoing Green Fellowship Programs – Provides seed stage funding to bring about positive social change
- Coro Fellows Program – check during fall 2016 for application deadlines
- Fulbright Program – online application deadline is October 11, 2016
- Gates Cambridge Global Scholarship – NOTE: short application open and close dates – September 5, 2017 through October 12, 2017
- Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation – for students entering public service field. See website for more information and dates.
- Marshall Scholarship – for post-graduate study in United Kingdom. NOTE: application deadline is October 3, 2017.
- Rhodes Scholarship – NOTE: application deadline is October 5, 2016 at 11:59pm EST.
- Omicron Delta Kappa – National Leadership Honor Society – application portal to open December 2016. Check website for information.
Post-Graduate Service Year Opportunities
A service year is a full-time stipend position for young Americans looking to make an impact on education, the environment, or other community issues they care about. By doing a service year, you can travel to new places, meet new people, learn new skills, and gain valuable experience. The federal government, non-profit organizations, and other public agencies that work to improve lives sponsor service year positions. For serving, corps members often receive living stipends, higher education loan reimbursements, specialized skills trainings, and other benefits. By serving, you will join a nationwide community of corps members and alums committed to making a difference and supporting each other through their service and beyond. No matter where you are in your education or career, service is a worthwhile investment that will shape your future and community for years to come.
Note: check back often for additional opportunities and application deadline dates.