Internships are an excellent way to learn more about your chosen field, to gain practical working experience, to make network contacts, and to build your résumé. Internships receive college credit when registered as a class.
Internships require research and planning. While almost any organization can work with you to create an internship, many organization have formal internship processes that must be followed. Please research internships that might interest you. Internship searches should be treated like a job search. Oftentimes, they are competitive, and require and interview process.
If you need assistance or guidance finding or applying for an internship, please visit the office of Career Development or make an appointment using this link:
- Internship credit may be obtained at two levels, 295 and 495, as follows:
- 295: Minimum 2.25 GPA and six hours of class work in the major area of study.
- 495: Minimum 2.25 GPA and 12 hours of class work in the major area of study, with at least 6 hours of which must be at the 300 level.
- All students may earn up to 16 hours of credit through internships, but these hours do not count toward completion of a major or a minor, unless internship are included as part of your major or minor requirement (see the College Catalog for any exceptions or for more information).
- One hour of credit for every 40 hours worked. Hours of credit are determined by the number of hours the student works on the internship:
- Internships being done for academic credit are graded on a pass/fail basis
- Interns must secure a site supervisor who has chosen you as an intern, and will agree to oversee your internship experience at their organization
- Interns must secure a faculty supervisor (preferably in their internship area of study) who will determine the academic requirements for your internship, and pre-approve your internship prior to it’s start date
- Interns must complete all necessary forms (see below)
All necessary forms must be submitted by the dates below. Situations that do not allow the student to submit the form by the required date will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Students should be advised that it is completing the required internship forms late could impact financial aid and a student’s account. Thus, it is recommended that all forms be completed early in the prior semester before the internship experience will take place.
Internship deadlines are as follows:
Fall Internship Credit – August 15
Spring Internship Credit – December 20
Summer Internship Credit – April 27
Internship agreements are now in an online format. If you are interested in participating in an internship please use the following link:
Once you have submitted this form, a unique link will be sent to your email with the internship agreement. PLEASE FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CLOSELY. If you have any issues or questions about the online form, or require a paper copy, please contact:
Kelly Bay, Director of Career Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or 309-467-6431. To book an appointment with Kelly, please use the appointment link above.
FYI: The following signatures will need to be obtained on your internship agreement in this order: student, site supervisor, faculty supervisor, academic adviser, division chair, Student Account Manager (Cole Mathena – business office), Director of Career Development (Kelly Bay), and Registrar (Kendi Onnen or John Salzer)
Note: Summer internship hours are NOT covered in Fall & Spring tuition costs. They require an additional cost of $500 per semester hour.
Just SOME of the places Eureka students have worked as interns:
Ag Lab – Peoria, IL (Sciences)
Caterpillar – Peoria, IL (Business/Accounting)
Cedar Creek – Minnesota (EHS)
Compass Counseling – Bloomington, IL (Counseling)
Disney – Florida (Business/Communications/Theater/Music/Finance/etc.)
Easter Seals – Peoria, IL (Various therapies/Business/etc.)
ELM – Peoria, IL (Risk management)
Eureka College (Athletics/Business/Library/Music/etc.)
Fairbury American Legion Speedway – Fairbury, IL (Business)
Five Points – Washington, IL (Exercise science/Comm/Business/etc.)
Grace Church – Morton, IL (Counseling)
GPEDC (Greater Peoria Economic Development Council) – Peoria, IL (Business/Communications/Marketing)
Graham Hospital (Exercise Science/etc.)
Huebner Seeds – Indiana (Agri-business)
IHSA – Bloomington, IL (Business Administration)
JC Health & Fitness (Exercise Science/Kinesiology)
Kansas City Chiefs NFL – Kansas City, MO (Athletics/etc.)
Mississippi State University (Athletics)
Magic Blue Box – Bloomington, IL (Art)
Mastadon State Historic Site – Missouri (EHS)
Maui Jim – Peoria, IL (Business/Sales/Finance/etc.)
McHenry County Conservation District – Woodstock, IL (EHS)
McHenry Sheriffs Dept. – Woodstock, IL (Criminal Justice)
Mind Oasis, LLC – Peoria, IL (Counseling)
Pearce Community Center – Chillicothe, IL (Exercise Science)
Peoria Chiefs – Peoria, IL (Athletics/Business/Communications/Marketing/etc.)
Peoria County Sheriff – Peoria, IL (Criminal Justice)
Peoria County Juvenile Detention Center – Peoria, IL (Crim. Justice/Juvenile Justice)
Peoria Rivermen – Peoria, IL (Athletics/Business/Communications/Marketing/etc.)
Peoria Riverfront Museum – Peoria, IL (Communications/Business/Film/Finance/Education/etc.)
State Farm – Bloomington, IL (Business/Finance/etc.)
University of Illinois College of Medicine – Peoria, IL (Sciences)
Unity Point – Peoria, IL (Business/Therapies/etc.)
Woodford County Sheriff – Eureka, IL (Criminal Justice)